Sunday 24 March 2013

Flavour Comparison - Cookies & Cream (Connoisseur and Sara Lee)


Connoisseur and Sara Lee both have a premium cookies and cream flavour, and since Connoisseur has been a favourite of mine for years and I'd only tried the Sara Lee take on it this week, I thought it'd be fun to do a comparison. 

Connoisseur describes theirs as "crushed dark chocolate cookies crumbled through smooth vanilla ice cream", while Sara Lee proclaims "made with fresh cream from selected Australian dairies, real bourbon vanilla and packed with chunks of dark chocolate cookies."
Based on the description alone, Sara Lee sounds like a winner. I love a good description.


Visually, on the surface, there is hardly any difference between the two ice creams, though Sara Lee's (right) is slightly darker. Both have chunks and tiny crumbles of Oreo-style cookies throughout, giving both vanilla bases a grey colour. This is just how I prefer my cookies and cream ice cream!


A few scoops down to each and it becomes clear that Connoisseur wins in the chunks department, there are many cookie bits in the ice cream and some were very large. Sara Lee, on the other hand, while theirs had less/smaller cookie chunks, there was more cookie overall incorporated into the ice cream, giving it a darker colour and a stronger chocolate flavour.

Honestly, it's very hard to pick a winner here. I'd definitely go for both, being a fan of Connoissuer's line and especially this flavour, but I also think Sara Lee has converted me to their ice cream with this flavour as well. Both are excellent and perfect if you are like me and perfer the cookie side of the cookies & cream equation. 

1 comment: